11.04.2012

Free to Find my Chi


This next Tuesday is Election Day, and if you don’t know that by now maybe it’s time for you to crawl out of the cave that you’ve been hibernating in for the past year. Election coverage is everywhere and all of my mother’s Facebook friends have been blowing up my mini feed with their, “CAN’T WAIT TO VOTE!” and “Feelin’ free today!” status’.

All of this talk about what freedom means in the media got me thinking. What makes me feel free? And then it happened…my stomach growled! I hopped up and made my way to my kitchen to whip up something to eat.


As I clipped the ends off of my green beans an overwhelming sense of gratitude swept over me. Remember the dorm days where every meal had to be microwavable? Remember the sorority house days where every meal was pre-planned and you had to eat whatever was on the menu that day? Yuck, the memories alone make me shiver!

For the first time since high school, I have a kitchen again! Who would have thought a few burners and a refrigerator would bring me this much joy! I am free to cook whatever I please, whenever I please!

This is my BEAUTIFUL kitchen at home in Houston. My mom did
an incredible job renovating the whole house on a tight budget
when we moved in. The whole renovation was featured
on one of my favorite design blogs Cote de Texas!

With my busy school load, cooking myself dinner has become an unexpected break from my hectic schedule. Culinary therapy!  A girl’s gotta eat, right?! And not only do my meals taste a heck of a lot better, but also they are much healthier.

My bulletin board is now overflowing with index cards with my culinary creations…maybe it’s time for me to invest in cookbook to put them in!

On the menu for this Tuesday is a healthy portion of garlic roasted shrimp and veggies. And of course, my first vote in a presidential election. (By the way...go vote! It gives you the right to complain all you want for the next four years..!) I think it’s safe to say that I’ll be feeling plenty free this week!

Happy cooking and voting everyone! 


I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to my food. – W.C. Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment