9.21.2012

The One Thing I thought I'd Never Wear 02


It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl in possession of her modest monthly allowance must be in want of the perfect themed party outfit. This, I tell you, was my mindset as I calmly strolled through the mall last Friday afternoon.

Calmly strolling through the mall is usually more of an oxymoron than a reality for me, but for once in my life I was shopping for my outfit a whole week in advance! Oddly enough, this wouldn’t be the only thing that was out of character for me on that Friday.

So there I was, in the middle of the mall on a mission to find THE outfit for my themed party that was a week away. The theme, you ask? Hooties and Harleys. You know, like motorcycles, combat boots, denim jackets and leather. Oh no. Leather?

How fitting...

A slight surge of panic shot through my body. I can’t wear leather! So much for my calm, cool, and collected shopping experience, I thought. I bolted into Forever 21, my favorite go-to store for finding inexpensive items I’ll only wear once.

I looked around and much to my surprise there seemed to be leather every which way I turned. Leather shorts, leather pants, leather skirts. I grabbed a few pairs of shorts, the pants would be too hot and I just don’t do the whole skirt thing.

I started to get frustrated in the dressing room. I had grabbed at least six different kinds of shorts and they were either too big, too small, too bunchy, or too something that I just didn’t like!

I asked the sales associate if there were any other options. She offered to go look. When she came back and presented me with two leather skirts. I never wore skirts. They usually made me look even shorter than I am and feel frumpy. All I could think was NO, NO, NO! But all I could say was, yes, yes, yes?

THE skirt.

I hesitantly took the skirts from her and shut the dressing room door behind me. I tried the first one on, HORRIBLE. I grabbed the second one, completely annoyed at this point, and put it on. Huh, the second one wasn’t so bad…

In fact, it fit me a lot better and was a lot cuter than any of the shorts I had tried on. But it was leather, and even worse, it was a skirt!

When the sales associate came back to check on me I showed her the second skirt. She freaked, “Oh my gosh that’s way cuter! You have to get it!” As terrified as I was, I knew she was right. I had to say yes.

And today’s the day, the day that I will unveil the ever-intimidating leather skirt! I still can’t believe I actually bought it and what’s even harder to believe is that I’m actually going to wear it!



Although it’s hard to believe that any article of clothing, much less a leather skirt for a themed party, is going to lead me any closer to finding my chi, but who knows! At least I’m trying something new. Here’s to hoping that I don’t rip it, wish me luck! 



The skirt and I survived!
Feeling daring?

No comments:

Post a Comment